Followers

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hustlin' and waxing my legs

i hustle on a daily basis, yup, daily everyone, i work hardcore for my paycheck...i kid i kid haha - for reals though, guess who'll be at the Lil' Wayne concert tonight at the Verizon center in Chinatown, DC? yup, you guessed it, me, tehehe. i got two tickets to our companies suite box and was planning on taking my hubs but he's not available :( so i got my girl M from work to go with me, we are super excited! i've been fortunate enough to have received a few box tickets in the past, just two weeks ago took my whole family to the Ringling Bros Circus!

Lil Wayne's Still Music Tour will feature Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross, Travis Barker and MixMaster Mike! *jumping for joy*

random fact, have you noticed i use a lot of exclamation marks and "haha's" and "LOL's"?? it's because in real life i obnoxiously laugh out loud chuckle and express everything with big eyes and much excitement, that's just how i am, loca. anyways - i am super excited and can't wait to put together an outfit (last second as always since i never plan ish). onto more domestic topics...

i waxed my legs on my own for the first time with non-microwavable wax! OH MY GOSH, it did not hurt as much as i thought it would and took me an hour to do both legs (just half). with time i'll be more efficient and i'm sure i can get the time down to 30-40 min. so yesterday i had the smart idea of buying a wax system since i couldn't justify paying for both a brazilian wax and leg wax and i know for a fact i could never give myself a brazilian wax (i doubt anyone can do that whole thing on their own, LOL). then i further justified buying a wax system by reminding myself i could wax my arms, underarms, lip, chin, errrrythang! granted i was petrified with the idea of home waxing after reading so many horror stories...wax that doesn't come off for days, bruises, peeled off skin, etc.

i walked into sally's completely unaware of what they sell in terms of waxing systems, and of course i was more excited about going shopping than reading reviews and doing research...oi vey! 
it was always the section i would skip =/ so of course i bought the most expensive system they had (you know...to be safe) ($64.99 with your Sally's Card) Gigi Mini Pro Kit (cheaper on amazon.com). since i was on the road the rest of the day i didn't get a chance to go home and try it, that means i had a chance to google reviews on the mini pro kit while sitting at red lights...that's where i realized everyone was complaining about the wax that the kit supplies and how worthless all the lotions and creams were. apparently the GiGi creme wax is crap, like super sticky and messy, when i say messy, i mean it doesn't adhere to the strips and stays on your skin, no bueno! so when i got a chance to go back to sally's last night i decided to immediately exchange it for the Suddenly Smooth Waxing System that was on sale BIG TIME, you get the wax (of your choice, i chose the Suddenly Smooth organic honey wax with argan oil), warmer, 5 collars (comes with the warmer), and 50 applicator sticks all for $29.99 (in store only -- online you get the warmer for $29.99, down from $43). i separately bought some Jilbere Euro Waxing System Non-Woven Waxing strips for $3 and GiGi's Wax Off for $10.
for some reason, all the items marked as suddenly smooth, are marked as Jilbere Euro on the website (they're the exact same items).  granted the items I got did say Jilbere Euro on the bottom of the packaging. so who knows.

Suddenly Smooth, Jilbere de Paris Wax Warmer --- 4/2/11 - IMAG0692

the instructions for the warmer are pretty good, considering i didn't burn down the house, haha! you set the warmer to power 10 after sliding the wax container and wax collar onto the warmer, let it warm up for 30 minutes for a full 14 oz container, every 10 minutes i took an applicator stick and stirred it just a bit to make sure the container warmed up evenly. after 30 minutes it was all warm and i turned it down to power 3 so it can just keep the wax warm and let it sit for 10 minutes just so the wax doesn't burn me. during those extra 10 minutes i washed my legs with african black soap (super cleanser), dried my legs completely, added baby powder with a cotton ball all over my legs, and laid down newspaper all over my bathroom floor. the baby powder helps in preventing the wax to stick to your skin and just to the hair and it helps guide you since it shows where you've already waxed (you don't want to double wax the same area...bad idea!). 

i started the waxing process by applying thin layers at a 45 degree angle, going "SCHWAPPPP" and just sucking it up, honestly the wax did not hurt that much, certain areas with a lot of hair stung a bit but the rest was a breeze, the pain is the least of your worries, making sure you're very tidy with the wax to prevent making a mess should be your big worry, oh yeah, and burning yourself, just test the blasted wax ladies, don't be lazy ;-) -- also, make sure you buy a wax off to make sure that you get any wax you missed with the strips, the GiGi wax off is AH-MAYY-ZING and smells divine! you take the wax off and just rub on your legs then you take it all off with a tissue (per the instructions), i used a towel.

side note: if you want to experience pain, get a full on brazilian wax, the results are the freakin best, but dang, the pain had me screaming...no joke, the technician was obviously used to it, haha.

how much product did i use? i used about a 1/4 of the 14 oz wax container and 10 non-woven strips for each half leg.

how long did it take? from the moment i sat down to start waxing to when i completed clean up was a total hour, which imo is not so bad for a noobs. i will be waxing my lip, chin, legs, underarms, arms and my bikini when i can't go in for a brazilian at home from now on.

hows the cleanup? it was a breeze, i sealed the wax back up (left it in the warmer), put away all my supplies, and trashed all the newpaper, a couple sheets of newpaper had a couple gloops of wax.

in the long run this will save me bookah bucks and i can't wait to go buy another wax container (tomorrow night most likely, i got a $5 coupon from yesterdays receipt) and maybe a whole other set too. i'm so very glad i decided to go with the cheaper option, despite the sales associates saying the product was new in the store and they didn't have an opinion on the brand/system and despite the lack of reviews on the specific wax i picked (it's new). i will no longer use my epilator which hurts like a motha and no longer will i purchase the pre-glued sally hansen strips for my lip and chin (so far that's the plan since i haven't tried it yet). i will no longer purchase the surgi microwavable non-strips wax and i will no longer shave! freedom at last, ladies! shaving for me has always been a challenge, i have the worst reactions, no matter how good of a blade and cream i use, i always bleed (especially if i shave more than once a week...and i need it daily) and always get the biggest ingrown hairs, i'm talking about half an inch scars, it's horrible. With waxing I just have to use my clearasil cleaning pads daily to prevent ingrown hairs for both legs and where i've had my brazilian wax (my brazilian waxer gave me the tip, the few times i've had leg waxes i've been given no advice).

so, here are my questions, have you done home waxing and what kind have you used? 

also, how do you feel about double dipping if you're only doing your legs (no bikini or lip) with that wax container? 

any other waxes to recommend to me, so far i'm loving the organic honey wax with argan oil? 

have you tried this system (could go under the name Satin Smooth or Jubilere Euro...imo they're the same)?


please ask me any questions that you may have, i know i wrote a lot and writing is not my forte, so forgive me if i don't make sense sometimes, haha.

4.2.11 a
here i am after a long saturday and going to sally's twice, haha - this was a lazy makeup day, no eyebrows or mascara =/ just a bit of foundation, spf 50 light bronzer, e/s and e/l

i'll leave you will some lil wayne and nicki minaj! (snuck in an enrique iglesias/lil wayne video that is oh-so racy...since when did enrique change his image! how is it i just heard this song for the first time today!? where the heck have i been?!?!?!)



martha!!!



Signature4




ask me questions anonymously: http://www.formspring.me/aPetiteDiva



email me: aPetiteDiva (at) gmail (dot) com

11 comments:

Leah ♥ said...

first things first - I am soooo jelly of your natural BEAUTY!!!! I wish I looked that good w/ no makeup on!

I never tried waxing but I wanna try on my brows but I want to so it myself because Im so picky with the shape

lastly, that dude in the Right Thru Me video is soooooo HOT!!!! I love Nicki Minaj too, but only after I watched this documentary on her, she seems like such an empowering woman!

Unknown said...

Leah - awww, you're so sweet! but i am wearing makeup, just not very much, tehehe

you know what's funny, i am petrified of waxing my eyebrows, i have a very heavy hand and i'm afraid i would tear off my brows - honestly you could also try eyebrow threading, apparently it's easy, cheap and pretty fast. i really want to learn, it makes my brows look amazing :)

oh yes, he is fiiiiiine, woman!

i haven't seen a doc on her, i need to look into that, thanks for the comment, chica!

xoxo

ellinelle said...

OMG ..you are so naturally beautiful , with no make you look perfect and that is the main thing - to look beautiful without any make - up ..I wish I could do that :)

..waxing !!! that is too painful for me , seriously , I tried once at home and there was a lot of tears ..

..I love your music ..perfect choice :)

Unknown said...

ellinelle - seriously, you are too sweet! i am wearing makeup, just very little ;-) no mascara and didn't do my eyebrows - thank you, lady :)

i've tried quite a few at home waxing methods, this was by far the most pain free :) - so sorry about the tears, chica :(

thank you for the music compliment, i always wonder if i'm offending anyone with my personal choice in music, glad to hear you enjoyed it!

xoxo

www.majormusthaves.com said...

I've been saying I'm going to buy a wax kit so I can start waxing my legs myself and now I am since you shared where I can get such a great deal on it! Oh and you are a natural beauty honey!

Jen said...

i'm so deathly afraid of waxing!! AHHH i swear i go in thinking it'll be okay, then i freak out and don't wanna finish. booo me. :( i love lil wayne..nicki is growing on me but sometimes she does annoy me. hehe.

mirjam schuurkamp said...

You look so pretty!(L)
WOW
thanks for the amazing comment!
so pretty

i have a new outfit post

www.mirfashion.blogspot.com
everyday a new post

xo model from holland

Couture Carrie said...

Good for you, darling!
I have never done a home wax!

xoxox,
CC

Melissa Rich said...

Thanks for sharing. I gotta give it a try.

Lisa said...

thanks for entering my giveaway :)

love your blog you're so gorgeous!!!!

i'm from the maryland area originally too!! my parents still live in potomac.. the world is so small hahaha

Jean said...

LOL your wax kit looks so fancy! I also marched into a Sallys my first "DIY" time and came out with ...the opposite as you...the cheapest possible things they had. And it was a complete failure. Much hair left on the legs. Must not have pulled quickly enough? I give you props for having success. Good call going back and exchanging it for an allegedly better set and saving $25.

And um...your question about double dipping...I had no idea that was bad. So to answer, yes I double, triple, quadruple dip : (

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails